Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The way things were

I thought I’d post some pics of how the south side of Main Street looked shortly before the recent travesty. Here are some pictures I took back in November '08 that show the peek-ins and Saloon. I cannot believe that they tore these down. I am so glad that I decided to revisit the park this past year and take a lot of photos of what is/was left. I really believed that if anything was safe it was the remaining buildings on Main Street. Now I know that nothing is sacred. So very sad, I don’t think they even realize what they have done. Those simple peek-ins were not only a part of Southern California history, they were a part of theme park history and a time capsule of a simpler time when people were entertained by displays such as these. My grandparents were entertained by these displays and shared them with my parents who in turn shared them me and I barely got the chance to share them with my children. Four generations of memories leveled.

Assay Office & Deadwood Dick's Grave
Panning right to Hop Wing Lee's Laundry and the Barber Shop

Looking down Main Street at the Silve Dollar Saloon

2 comments:

outsidetheberm said...

Well, we hear they will be back. In what form is the real question...

Let's Talk Knott's said...

I have high hopes, and low expectations.