Friday, May 7, 2010

The Boys Are Back In Town

Heading into Ghost Town the other day I was pleasantly surprised to see Handsome Brady & Whiskey Bill sitting in their rightful place on the side of the Gold Trails Hotel. The last time I saw these two was over a year ago when they sat on a bench near the exit of the Calico Railway Station.

They appear to be well rested and freshly touched up for a hopefully extended stay this time around! Too bad these two weren't out for Chris Merrit's book signing. This is "the" classic Knott's photo and it is wonderful to have an opportunity to capture it again. Anyone who doesn't have a photo with Handsome Brady & Whiskey Bill needs to get over to the farm and make that happen.

The plaque behind the bench is the one that used to be mounted in stone next to the Old Berry Stand when it sat beside the Candy Parlour.

Heading into Calico square I came accross these ladies sitting in front of the Calico Saloon. At first I hoped it was Marilyn and Cecilia but upon closer inspection it was most definitely not.

These two were quite popular (due to their prime location), I had to make a couple of passes by the area before they were available for a solo photo shoot.



Does anyone know the origins of these two? Were they made by Claude Bell? Are they flappers from the Roaring 20's? Anyone, anyone?

It's good to see some of the manequins on the streets of Ghost Town again. It helps to add a little of that old Knott's flavor to the proceedings and they seemed to be a hit with the general public as well. This is a step in the right direction and I hope that the efforts to revitalize Ghost Town continue.

Well that's all for today,

Take Care and Thanks for Readin'

12 comments:

Jay Jennings said...

Those newer Calico Belles were built in the 1990's, so Claude Bell wouldn't have built them. Hopefully Marilyn and Cecelia will make an appearance soon. Regardless, it's great to see Handsome Brady and Whiskey Bill again in their old spot!

Let's Talk Knott's said...

Thanks for the info on the newer Belles. And I have updated Whiskey Jim to Whiskey Bill. I could have sworn I have seen him referred to as Jim in some Knott's literature?

Jay Jennings said...

It's funny, in most of my research, he's referred to as "Whiskey Bill" (which is what he's called on the old hotel wall plaque). However, a handful of reading material refers to him as "Whiskey Jim". Dave Bourne of the Wagonmasters tells me that Walter Knott always referred to him as "Whiskey Jim". So go figure.

TokyoMagic! said...

Glad to see them back. That's strange about the Berry Stand plaque being behind them now. I have wondered about the newer saloon "girls" myself. There used to be a pair of flappers in the Roaring 20's too. I just photographed the Senoritas in Fiesta Village last week! I wonder how old they are?

Jay Jennings said...

The two Senoritas in Fiesta Village were put there in 1970.

Anonymous said...

These two ladies go back for many, many years. I'm certain I had my picture taken with them sometime in the 80's. They weren't so brightly colored and they were in the Ghost Town section. I recall the dresses were different, but that's unlikely. It's probaby just the different paint job. I'll try to dig up my photo for you and I may have a date for it.

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks for the info, Jay! Did Claude Bell build the Senoritas? And how about the dog that was outside of the Candy Parlour? And whatever happened to that dog, anyway?

Barry said...

I was looking at an old family photo tonight, shot roughly between 45 and 50 years ago with my brother and myself sitting between them, with the sign clearly stating "Ghost Town" "Gold Trail Hotel" "This bench reserved for Handsome Brady and Whiskey Bill and their friends" "Gold Trail Hotel"

Keith said...

Haven't been to Knotts Berry Farm since 1964. I was 5 years old. The only family picture I could find was me sitting on Handsome Brady's leg. Thanks for the info on this. I still don't remember much but it must have been fun.

Don Bitz said...

There are two other saloon girls on the other side of the saloon. Not sure if they're Marilyn & Cecelia. The two flapper girls were on a bench near where the entrance to Bear-y Tales used to be as of a couple of weekends ago when I was there. I also spotted the Senoritas in Fiesta Village.

Unknown said...

My Father Claude K. Bell did not make the statues of the "Flappers/Senorits" I believe they were either in the "Roaring 20's" area or in Fiesta Village but not until 1990. The correct name for men's statues were Whiskey Bill and Handsome Jim Brady. I am not really sold on the paint job they did, my Father made them look more realistic. If I knew how to share a picture on this blog I would show you what they are suppose to look like! But thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

This is an old thread but I’m trying to date a visit by my grandparents with whisky Bill. It looks like the original plaque was replaced in November of 1962 with the bronze one. Is that right and is it still there interrupted? Bill